Warsaw’s landmark Prudential tower reopened at the start week, fifteen years after closing its doors to the public. Measuring 66-meters in height, the skyscraper was Poland’s tallest pre-war structure, and the second highest in Europe. Originally built to house Prudential’s Warsaw offices, as well as lavish apartments on the higher floors, it was from here Poland’s first TV broadcasts were transmitted.
Battered relentlessly by the Germans during the 1944 Warsaw Uprising, insurgents occupying the tower refused to surrender right up until the final capitulation. Bought by the Likus group eight years ago, the Art Deco marvel has since been sensitively restored and transformed into the luxury Hotel Warszawa featuring a top floor presidential apartment with its own private viewing deck, a spa, cigar lounge and a restaurant overseen by the acclaimed Dariusz Barański.